Declutter in 2016
Following every new year, it always feels good to declutter your home….out with the old and in with the new, as we like to say. It’s the perfect time to get organized, get rid of the clutter, and simplify your life. Everett has some helpful tips to get your home into tip-top shape for the new year!
- Donate: As you go through your items in the home, don’t think too much when deciding on what to keep and get rid of. Sometimes an emotional connection will keep you from a successful purging. If you don’t use it or haven’t worn it in 6 months to a year, just let it go. After all, it’s just “stuff”.
- Toss the junk: You’d be surprised at what can be hidden in bins in the garage, closets, under the bed, or tucked away in a cupboard. We are all guilty of keeping things that we forgot we even had….just toss it in the recycle bin or garbage bag. Getting rid of these unnecessary items helps make your home feel more manageable.
- Bins are your best friend: Every item has its place in the home. Clutter can take over your counters, side tables, junk drawers, and closets. Put all those loose cords, mail, and any other small items in clear bins and label. Even having bins for toys, etc. is great to keep organized and can look stylish as well. Tidy up your closet with clear bins for each pair of shoes, accessories, and misc. clothing for easy access.
- Label: The best way to keep organized is knowing where everything goes. Labeling makes clean-up a quicker process and knowing that everything has a home makes you feel like an organization pro.
- A daily basket: Place a basket near the foot of the stairs and anything, throughout the day, that needs to be put away or goes upstairs, ends up in the basket. At the end of the day, those items can easily be put away.
- Weekly purging: This is a great way to get in a routine and keep on top of your home organization. Cleaning out your refrigerator, pantry, closets, coffee tables, junk drawers, mail, etc. on a weekly basis will help prevent clutter from piling up.
If you need some tips on what to get rid of, here’s a list of 101 items to get rid of without regret. You can even visit this helpful site, 40+ Practical Tips to Declutter, with a step-by-step process to organize your entire home without being overwhelmed (plus a super cool workbook). We all have that “out of sight, out of mind” mentality and over time, it’s shocking what we can accumulate. We are even guilty of putting things not being used into bins and store for a “future purging” that doesn’t ever happen. Let’s make this year a more organized one, so hopefully these tips from Everett Custom Homes will help make 2016 a decluttered one! Happy purging!!